Saturday 24 March 2012

En Route to Tofino, British Columbia

Of all the places I have travelled over the years none have ever compared to the timeless town of Tofino. I spent a summer in British Columbia being a nanny and housekeeper for some of my relatives. Nearing the end of August my aunt and uncle lent me their silver hatchback and I took off on the island highway in search of an adventure. 


It was certainly that, something you should know about me is that given a map, compass and all the necessary direction-orientation tools I would still get lost in my home town. We will just say that navigation is not my forte (putting it lightly). As I gathered up the google map directions and landmarks from those who have travelled to Tofino and back in the past I set out on my way. Never have I ever seen a more beautiful landscape or drive getting lost in my life. Now I don't know how many of you know how much about Vancouver Island, but I may have misjudged the distance once or twice and missed a couple signs or so. I ended up travelling a bit passed my turn off but made for even more of the island I wouldn't have seen otherwise so I am not one to complain. 


I decided to spend the night at my aunt's parent's place in Port Alberni: my favourite place on earth to date. I don't know if its the harbour on the pacific ocean that made me fall in love or the majestic mountains that made my heart stop but if I ever have to settle down that is the only place I can imagine being truly happy. Port Alberni is a small community close to Arrowsmith Mountain and is known for its heart warming farmers market and beautiful surroundings. Imagine waking up every morning to the mountains overlooking the ocean and walking to pick fresh fruit from the market on a crisp, sunny, Saturday morning. 


Early morning after my photo shoot down by the dock, I took off for the rest of my journey to Tofino. Driving by the big lakes, the market where goats live on a grass covered roof and through the ancient, characteristic trees of Carmana I made my way to my destination.


When I arrived to the small surfing town I was amazed with the culture. I had never seen anything like it in Canada and was overcome with a sense of calm. I had the whole day to myself to just roam around and take it all in. I drove to every beach and watched the surfers in their natural habitat. I walked in the sand by the abandoned log shelters and spent the whole time playing with settings on my camera to take the perfect shots. 


I was lucky enough to board a boat to go whale watching - another aspect of the town that brings in a lot of tourism. I was so amazed to see so much gorgeous sea wild life. From seals and walruses to whales and bald eagles. I will never forget the time I spent looking at the amazing creatures in the pacific ocean. 


Although my trip was only a day one, I remember every lasting moment. If I ever get the chance I won't hesitate a moment to go back. It is absolutely one of the most hidden beauties on earth and certainly a Canadian treasure. 


surfing on long beach

whale watching on the ocean

 goats on the roof

en route to Tofino

No comments:

Post a Comment